Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Vicks Vaporub


VICKS VAPORUB...TRY IT, IT WORKS




"I wish I'd known this when my family was young during winter colds and coughs. I am going to try it myself. Share with young parents. Isn't life strange? When we had a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it. Some of us have used Vicks Vaporub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time although the scientists at the Canada Research council (who discovered it) aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings on the part of their scientists when they were investigating the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as compared to alternative therapies like acupressure. Just happened to tune in AM. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprise finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly. Polly tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, (incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

If you have grandchildren, pass it on. If you end up sick, try it yourself and you will be absolutely amazed by the effect ."
Any takers out there?

6 comments:

C C ramirez said...

Eddie, why, thanks for this item!.

Vicks has always been present in my medicine cabinet since as far back as I can remember. It was my mother's foolproof remedy for all ills, including the pain of "palo" when we were misbehaving.

Have carried on my mother's practice and used it on every one in my family including myself and now on my apos as well. It is always in my handbag whenever I travel especially overseas.

Have applied it on most parts of the body from their scalp to the sole of their feet for all aches and fevers and even inside nostrils when the hayfever gets out of control. But I had not heard of it being applied on the sole of the feet specifically to control coughs until now.

I am absolutely sure it works! (Just wished you came up with this item shortly after our grand reunion.)

I find it an effective relaxant myself, after a warm bath. There is probably a lot more wonderful uses for it.

Thanks a bunch! We need more of this kind of practical information.

Pilar Villegas Cuevas said...

Ed, Thanks for this posting. When we were young my parents always put vicks vaporub on our back and chest and nostril when we had colds and we really hate the smell. Few years ago I found a replacement for vicks vaporub. It is a sanitary balm. Everytime I visit the Philippines I see to it that I have bougth at least 10. We can buy it in asian store here in U.S. The smell is not bad and not sticky as vicks vaporubs. It relieves all pain including stomach pain, burn, wounds, itchiy skin, colds, fever, running nose, etc. When my children and grandchildren are sick I put sanitary balm in their back and chest and the effect is like vicks vaporub. Like Cora I always have one in my handbag and carry it wherever I am.

Thanks again.

C C ramirez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C C ramirez said...

After that e-mail titled Not Vicks..., I now wonder about this item.

Ed Benjamin said...

You just reaffirmed an old practice being carried out by many of us. But that foot application to stop the cough is news to us, too. I put this article out there just to see how many Vicks's fan really applied this wonder drug to relieve the coughing. We sure haven't, not yet anyway. But it's starting to get cold in our neck of the woods,we'll certainly have a chance to validate that claim.
On a lighter note however, I noticed the similarity of you girls putting first aid kits in you bag like eye drops, aspirin or acetamenophen, anti-acid, even non-medical items like address book, coupons, stamps, safety pins, gums, etc... My partner even offered me tooth picks when were out and about. Ever wonder why you have back or neck problems? Have you ever placed your bag on a scale? Take a guess on how much weight you carry around your side or shoulder...Hmm, you girls must be all related, huh? No harm intended, just a simple observation, ladies...So Cora, that e-mail about not "Vicks Vaporub", will that make it to the blog? You don't have to answer that ?

lucille said...

I was posting a comment yesterday about carrying Vicks and herbal oils in my bag anywhere I go when the power went off and never returned till the evening.
I find it relaxing to put herbal oils and ointments when I have a headache..I don't take medicines for some little pains instead rub a little amount of vicks or oil and my pains are gone.I still need to prove how it works with cough,with my apos.I shared the information to my staff who have little kids and get their testimonials.
Yes Eddie in my bag,I have a beauty parlor,a pharmacy,and a mini convenience store...(SMILE)..girls stuff we call.
Thanks for the medical tip about Vicks!