Sunday, November 18, 2007

Kitchen Fire Safety

This is for those who are relegated to the kitchen as their favorite hangout.

This is very important. Remember the WET TOWEL!
A good reminder for everyone..... Watch the video and tell your whole family about it. Or better yet, send this to them. This is a dramatic video (30-second, very short) about how to deal with a common kitchen fire ... oil in a frying pan. Please read the following introduction and then watch the show .. It's a real eye-opener!! At the Fire Fighting Training school they would demonstrate this with a deep fat fryer set on the fire field. An instructor would don a fire suit and using an 8 oz cup at the end of a 10 foot pole toss water onto the grease fire. The results got the attention of the students. The water, being heavier than the oil, sinks to the bottom where it instantly becomes superheated. The explosive force of the steam blows the burning oil up and out. On the open field, it became a thirty foot high fireball that resembled a nuclear blast. Inside the confines of a kitchen, the fire ball Hits the ceiling and fills the entire room. Also, do not throw sugar or flour on a grease fire. One cup creates the explosive force of two sticks of dynamite. Please view this video clip:

Try this link to the kitchen oil fire... I knew you smother the fire... but I did not realize how bad you turned things with the water.. WOW...

http://www.ranaldofamily.com:80/SWF/KitchenOilFire.wmv

3 comments:

josie javier-macalua said...

Thanks for this info. What a perfect timing! You published it as I am about to finish the list of topics that we will be using in a training for all the helpers in this community. This is a very good material on home safety.

Pilar Villegas Cuevas said...

Ernie, thanks for this kitchen tip in case of fire. Pero the best siguro huwag na lang kaming magluto para iwas sunog at konti linis. he he he.

ErnestoDR said...

I am glad this blog helps!
Pilar, tama ka, para iwas, wag na luto. order for delivery na lang...ha..ha..ha..
On a serious note, I advise that every household member be informed of this because it truly happened to my wife Cecile.
While she was cooking, fire sets in from the spilled oil in the burner collector pan. Instinctively, she doused the fire with water and suddenly the flame went swosh and reached the ceiling of the kitchen. She got scared and came shouting at my name. So rushed to the kitchen and saw the flame. I immediately drench a towel and covered the flame until the fire was extinguished.
Remember, fire is produced by three things --- fuel, air, and heat. Eliminate one and there is no fire. In this case, we denied fire the air element.
Better still, assume there will be a fire, so have that towel ready by your side, while you are cooking that yummy dish from Annie's recipe!
Bon Apetit!